Breast Thermography Screening in LONDON
Sadly incidence of breast cancer is rising, particularly in younger women. In fact 1 in 9 women can expect a diagnosis of breast cancer in their lifetime. Consequently, we recommend regular breast screening checks using the pain free, radiation free safe alternative to mammograms called Thermography.
What is Breast Thermography?
Breast Thermography uses state of the art technology which scans the breasts using an infrared camera to produce a “thermogram”. This scan detects heat and not a lump. Breast tumours tend to have abnormal blood vessel patterns and increased metabolic activity that give off more heat than the surrounding tissue. These heat changes can occur between 6 and 10 years before a tumour is big enough to see on a mammogram. Therefore detecting this heat can enable earlier intervention and reduction of risk. The blood vessel growth that accompanies tumour formation is termed neovascularization or angiogenesis. Neovascularization is the earliest sign of a rapidly growing tumour and can be detected with infrared technology.
The thermograms obtained provide an indirect measurement of the metabolic activity of breast tissue. In other words, abnormal tissue is identified on a thermogram as focal ‘hot spots,’ disturbed cooling response and abnormal blood vessel patterns.
What are the Benefits of Breast Screening with Thermography?
- 100% safe, radiation-free, non-contact and painless.
- Very early detection of cancer risk (up to 10 years earlier than mammography).
- It is unique in its capacity to visually record physiological changes and metabolic processes.
- Cancers are associated with increased temperature and abnormal blood vessel patterns, both detected on Thermography Breast Scans (we call them thermograms). Furthermore, a single cold challenge can help to identify abnormal tissue response.
- 90% sensitivity. This means that where there is an increased risk, thermography will correctly identify this in 90% of cases (one third of mammograms give false readings).
- Thermography Breast Screening can be repeated as often as you like with no risk or radiation and are therefore is very suited for regular and frequent Breast Screening including post-surgery or during treatment or in cases where a patient might be unwilling to proceed with surgery
- It is useful for young women for whom mammography is inappropriate due to 1) greater density of breast tissue and 2) greater sensitivity of their breast tissue to adverse effects of ionising radiation.
Where can I have a thermography scan?
Your thermography scans will take place at our Harley Street Clinic in central London in our private breast screening room.
How long will my appointment take?
Your thermography appointment will take approximately 30 minutes with one of our female clinic staff. After your first scan, you will have a consultation with Dr Eccles to explain the results. This will take 20 to 30 minutes.
At what age should I start to have Thermography?
At The Natural Doctor, given the incidence of breast cancer nowadays in younger women, we recommend a thermography screen for women of all ages from 20 onwards.
How often should I have a breast thermography scan?
We recommend a regular annual (private) Breast Thermogram much like a regular dental check-up. Patients with abnormal scans or with breast cancer history will be recommended more regular checkups.
What is the cost?
Please see our fees page for full list of fees and services.
Request a Thermography Scan
To book in for your thermogram please call us on 0207 2244 622 or send us an email using the enquiry form.