Breast Thermography SCANNING in LONDON
Unfortunately, breast health remains one of the single biggest health challenges, particularly for women. One in 7 women born after 1960 are expected to be at risk of developing breast cancer at some time during their lifetime. This compares with 1 in 870-lifetime risk for men. Consequently, we recommend regular breast health scanning checks using Breast Thermography which is pain-free radiation-free and safe.”
What is Breast Thermography?
Breast Thermography uses state of the art technology which scans the breasts using an infrared camera to produce a “thermogram”. Thermocheck® system detects any abnormal heat patterns that can indicate infection, inflammation or a more sinister emerging problem in the breast. Breast tumours tend to have abnormal blood vessel patterns and increased metabolic activity that gives off more heat than the surrounding tissue. These heat changes can occur between 6 and 10 years before a tumour is big enough to see on a mammogram. Therefore detecting this heat can enable earlier intervention and reduction of future risk. A persistently abnormal thermogram represents an increased risk. The blood vessel growth that accompanies cancer formation is termed neovascularization or angiogenesis. Neovascularization is the earliest sign of a rapidly growing tumour and can be detected with infrared technology.
What happens during breast thermography with Thermocheck® at The Natural Doctor®
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BREAST THERMOGRAPHY WITH THERMOCHECK?®
- 100% safe, radiation-free, non-contact and painless.
- Very early detection of changes to breast health. Thermography should not replace mammography as a cancer diagnostic tool and may be a particularly relevant adjunct for women with dense breasts for which mammography and self-examination may present difficulties.
- It is unique in its capacity to visually record physiological changes and metabolic processes.
- Cancers are associated with increased temperature and abnormal blood vessel patterns.
- Studies show 90% sensitivity (when properly conducted). This means that where there is an increased risk, breast thermography can correctly identify this in 90% of cases.
- Breast Health Thermography can be repeated as often as required given there is no exposure to harmful radiation. It is therefore particularly suited to regular and frequent breast health checks, including post-surgery, during treatment or in cases where a patient does not consent to surgery. Please note that thermography is not a substitute for cancer scanning or diagnosis by mammography or biopsy.
- It is useful for young women for whom mammography is inappropriate due to 1) greater density of breast tissue and 2) greater sensitivity of their breast tissue to adverse effects of ionising radiation.
THERMOGRAPHY IS APPROVED TO BE USED ADJUNCTIVELY WITH MAMMOGRAPHY.
We do not promote Thermocheck® thermography as a replacement of mammography for the following reasons:
1. They are fundamentally different in what they uncover
- Mammography can detect an established physical mass in the breast (about the size of a small grape).
- Thermography detects metabolic and vascular thermal changes that occur sooner than a mass is established.
- A normal mammogram does not mean you have healthy breasts only that there is an absence of a structural lesion.
- A normal thermogram indicates that you have physiologically healthy breasts.
2. A mammogram may still be a necessary investigation where there are both physical and thermal changes in the breast.
Where can I have a thermography scan?
Breast thermography with Thermocheck® takes place at our Harley Street Clinic in Central London in our private breast scanning room.
ARE THERE ANY PREPARATIONS I NEED TO FOLLOW BEFORE MY SCAN?
In order to achieve the highest accuracy, it is compulsory to follow our standardised protocols. These are always emailed after booking your appointment.
How long will my appointment take?
Your Thermocheck® appointment will take approximately 30 minutes with one of our female scan technicians. If you are concerned about your breast health and prefer to discuss your Thermocheck® results on the same day straight after your scan with a breast health specialist, we offer an option of booking a scan and consultation with Dr Eccles, the founder of Thermocheck® on the same day.
At what age should I start to have Breast Thermography?
At The Natural Doctor®, given the incidence of breast cancer nowadays in younger women, we recommend a thermography screen for women of all ages from 20 onwards; especially so if there is a family history of breast cancer.
How often should I have a Breast Thermography scan?
We recommend a regular annual Breast Thermogram much like a regular dental check-up. Patients with abnormal scans or with breast cancer history will be recommended more regular check-ups.