Unfortunately, breast health remains one of the single biggest health challenges, particularly for women. One in 7 women born after 1960 are expected to be at risk of developing breast cancer at some time during their lifetime. This compares with 1 in 870-lifetime risk for men. Consequently, we recommend regular breast health scanning checks using Thermocheck® Breast Thermography which is pain-free radiation-free and safe.”
What Is Thermocheck® Breast Thermography?
Thermocheck® Breast Thermography uses state of the art technology which scans the breasts using an infrared camera to produce a “thermogram”. Thermocheck® system detects any abnormal heat patterns that can indicate infection, inflammation or a more sinister emerging problem in the breast. Breast tumours tend to have abnormal blood vessel patterns and increased metabolic activity that gives off more heat than the surrounding tissue. These heat changes can occur between 6 and 10 years before a tumour is big enough to see on a mammogram. Therefore detecting this heat can enable earlier intervention and reduction of future risk. A persistently abnormal thermogram represents an increased risk. The blood vessel growth that accompanies cancer formation is termed neovascularization or angiogenesis. Neovascularization is the earliest sign of a rapidly growing tumour and can be detected with infrared technology.
What happens during Breast Thermography with Thermocheck® at the Natural Doctor®
Watch the video
What are the benefits of Breast Thermography with Thermocheck?®
- 100% safe, radiation-free, non-contact and painless.
- Very early detection of changes to breast health. Thermography should not replace mammography as a cancer diagnostic tool and may be a particularly relevant adjunct for women with dense breasts for which mammography and self-examination may present difficulties.
- It is unique in its capacity to visually record physiological changes and metabolic processes.
- Studies show 90% sensitivity (when properly conducted). This means that where there is an increased risk, Thermocheck® Breast Thermography can correctly identify this in 90% of cases.
- Cancers are associated with increased temperature and abnormal blood vessel patterns.
- Breast Health Thermography can be repeated as often as required given there is no exposure to harmful radiation. It is therefore particularly suited to regular and frequent breast health checks, including post-surgery, during treatment or in cases where a patient does not consent to surgery. Please note that thermography is not a substitute for cancer scanning or diagnosis by mammography or biopsy.
- It is useful for young women for whom mammography is inappropriate due to 1) greater density of breast tissue and 2) greater sensitivity of their breast tissue to adverse effects of ionising radiation.
Thermography is approved to be used adjunctively with Mammography.
We do not promote Thermocheck® thermography as a replacement of mammography for the following reasons:
1. They are fundamentally different in what they uncover
- Mammography can detect an established physical mass in the breast (about the size of a small grape).
- Thermography detects metabolic and vascular thermal changes that occur sooner than a mass is established.
- A normal mammogram does not mean you have healthy breasts only that there is an absence of a structural lesion.
- A normal thermogram indicates that you have physiologically healthy breasts.
2. A mammogram may still be a necessary investigation where there are both physical and thermal changes in the breast.
Thermocheck® Reports And Scoring System
After your scan, you will be sent your Thermocheck® report, clarifying the scores for each breast and recommended review time. Please be advised that your results will always be emailed to you and if you would like to discuss them with the doctor we can book you for Breast Health Consultation with the doctor. (please see fees on our fees page)
1 & 2: Normal result rescan in 12 months. You have physiologically healthy breasts. We recommend a regular annual Breast Thermogram much like a regular dental check-up.
3: This is a borderline result. It represents a relatively lower (slightly increased) risk but it is certainly a mild risk = One thermal abnormality. It doesn’t mean there is something sinister going on however, this result should not be ignored since there is a thermal activity present that can indicate infection, inflammation, or an increased risk of cancer. We like to be proactive about any result which is not completely normal and that’s why we recommend a consultation with Dr Eccles who will help in advising how to optimise your breast health.
4 and 5: This result suggests an increased risk in the breast. It does not necessarily mean there is something sinister going on however this result should not be ignored since there is thermal activity present that can indicate infection, inflammation, or an increased risk of cancer. Does it mean I have cancer? It does not mean that you have cancer but the greater the score of your scan the greater the risk. We place importance on being proactive about your breast health, therefore, we always advise patients with an abnormal result to see Dr Eccles as he is a breast health specialist and he will advise on how you can optimise and manage your breast health.
Why should I book a scan review if I get an abnormal result/How can he help?
Dr Eccles will be the expert to advise you and explain the findings of your scan thoroughly, answer any queries and ultimately help you manage your breast health from the natural/holistic point of view. How? Dr Eccles will advise on that. He frequently recommends specific nutraceuticals which support optimal breast health.
We do not recommend Thermocheck® Breast Thermography if:
- you had a mastectomy. (this includes single-sided mastectomy)
- you have had a breast lumpectomy within 3 months of the procedure.
- you have had a breast reduction/enlargement within 3 months of the procedure.
- you have had a breast biopsy (including needle biopsies) within 3 months of the procedure.
- you have had radiotherapy in the last 6 months of the procedure.
- you are breastfeeding or pregnant. We advise Thermocheck® Breast Thermography 6 months after stopping breastfeeding.
NAVIGATING MENOPAUSE WITHOUT DRUGS & A NATURAL APPROACH TO BREAST CANCER PREVENTION
In this episode Dr Eccles speaks to us about the importance of a proactive approach to breast cancer prevention, by learning what our bodies need in order to keep our breasts healthy. He talks us through his innovative Thermocheck® Breast Thermography screening, that can detect breast cancer cells 6-10 years before a mammogram would be able to, without any of the myriad risks associated with mammography.
BYE BYE MAMMOGRAMS? RETHINKING BREAST CANCER SCREENING
For decades, women have been advised to “get your mammogram” as an early detection approach. According to Dr. Nyjon Eccles, women have been misled. Based on research, Dr. Eccles states that mammography screening doesn’t lead to survival advantage. He cites research results that show for every 2,000 women who are screened over 10 years, one life will be saved, 10 women will receive unnecessary treatment, and 200 women will receive false positive results.
TALK RADIO – BADASS WOMEN’S HOUR XL – INTERVIEW WITH DR ECCLES
Listen to an interview with Dr Eccles sharing his opinion on Thermocheck® Breast Thermography on Talk Radio
ROBIN DALY FROM YES TO LIFE INTERVIEWS DR ECCLES ABOUT THERMOCHECK® BREAST THERMOGRAPHY
DR ECCLES TALKS ABOUT BREAST HEALTH
Listen to a podcast with Dr Eccles sharing his expertise on breast health and the various options to achieve optimal breast health.
Breast thermography with Thermocheck® is available at our clinic at 8 Upper Wimpole Street in Central London in our private breast scanning room.
In order to achieve the highest accuracy, it is compulsory to follow our standardised protocols. These are always emailed after booking your appointment.
Your Thermocheck® appointment will take approximately 30 minutes with one of our female scan technicians. If you are concerned about your breast health and prefer to discuss your Thermocheck® results after your scan with a breast health specialist, we offer an option of booking a scan and consultation with Dr Eccles who can advise on steps to optimise your breast health.
At The Natural Doctor®, given the incidence of breast cancer nowadays in younger women, we recommend a thermography screen for women of all ages from 20 onwards; especially so if there is a family history of breast cancer.
We recommend a regular annual Breast Thermogram much like a regular dental check-up. Patients with abnormal scans or with breast cancer history will be recommended more regular check-ups.